Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life by Gregg Levoy
“Follow your enthusiasms” is a three-word summary of this book.
Levoy’s theory is that life conditions us in ways that limit our potential and possibilities. A calling cuts through the conditioning. There is part of us that remembers and knows what we’re to become.
There are many callings in work, relationships, lifestyle, and spirituality.
Levoy says life is constantly sending signals to us, but we can open to the signs by noticing:
- Our passions, dreams, and intuitions.
- Song lyrics that speak to us.
- Conversations overheard.
- A decision that needs to be made NOW.
- Friction in our life.
- Talents and gifts calling to be used.
How do you know if a call is true or false?
It’s true if:
- It keeps coming back to you year after year.
- There is a feeling of “rightness.”
- You like even the mundane tasks of it.
- There is fear and resistance.
- You are willing to try it out.